The First Meeting(Fiction)

She was sitting in the Reading Room. I saw her as soon as I entered because she was sitting close to the place where we stacked our bags. She was reading a book but which book it was I couldn't know as she held it flat. She looked up. I must have looked like a random guy to her, I thought, not a reader of course. More so because I drew a notebook and a textbook from my bag and placed it on the table. I had to do something real fast. I had a copy of '1984' in my bag. I drew it and put it on the top and kept the spine, which was labelled, towards her so that she could see what was I reading. I wondered for a second what would it be like  if books weren't labelled in the spine, how difficult it would have been then to place them in the shelves and almost impossible to let a girl know what you were reading without any direct communication. I looked at her discreetly while closing the bag. She gave a glance to the book but with no expression. I thought it isn't worth trying. I picked up the material and sat two tables across her while facing her. Although, I was studying now, she still was in my mind.
A quick glance wouldn't do any harm to anyone, I thought. I looked at her, she was still reading. And for a moment I was lost in the beauty of that moment. How beautiful she looked while reading, the subtle movements of her lips and the changes in expressions on her face set her apart from all the girls that were sitting there in the room. I was lost in all this when, too my horror, she looked right up into my eyes. And I was caught red handed! Suddenly an idea came to my mind, and I kept looking straight, pretending staring at oblivion and after a few seconds just raised my finger as if an idea came to me and looked down and scribbled on my notebook.

And thus I continued "I saved myself from what could have been a frightening situation.". The coordinator smiled and said "Well that was not bad! Try to make the ending a little bit more interesting next time". It was the first day of the Readers' and Writers' club and a little task given to us. I had submitted my name since like a year before and now the club was officially formed. Well better late than never. I enjoyed every bit of it. Meeting people who have same interests as you, similar thinking and the diversity of course, gives you a feeling of togetherness. 

Comments

Popular Posts